Author Topic: block depleated items  (Read 5366 times)

ericrevollo

block depleated items
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:51:08 pm »
May this was already asked but it would be nice to block items once your inventory runs out, so let's say you have 5 bottles of water on stock, you sell them all and then that item shows as blocked or shows a messgaes that you dan't have that item, also a report saying howmany items you have left would be great, all this without the need of creating recipes ofcourse,

thanks for the software it's great!

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: block depleated items
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:55:14 pm »
We'll have a specific module for a similar need on V3 and in a couple days I'll start developing it.

My primary idea is disconnecting it from inventory/warehouse tracking. Basically we'll simply enter quantities for menu items (not inventory items) and it will warn before critical level and disable product from selling when that quantity sold.

Determining quantities of menu items from inventory recipes is something hard to run. A missing purchase record may trigger false alarms and when it happens two or three times most restaurants will give up and don't track that. For this reason I'm trying to implement something easy to use and disconnected from paperworks. 

First implementation will solve a problem of restaurants who offers daily specific and limited foods and who needs enabling/disabling certain menu items temporarily. I think it will solve your issue too and we may improve it for more needs.

ericrevollo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:29:31 pm »
that would be great, the first issue is tracking the number of items left, and warning about low levels of an item, in my case I intend to use it on a friends bar where only entire quantites are sold only rum vodka bottles and beer chopps (it's easier to track sales that way he says)  I tried with recipies but I don't think my friend and his accountant could manage that it took them a while to learn menu and category creations.

Well as your idea is nice and I see it this way, maybe it's possible to create two kinds of products, Single Products like water bottles, soda cigarrets, etc. Then we have compound products that are created joining various products like sandwiches, and foods both products rest a quantity from the storage room. So all you need to do is add the number of products on the storage room and just rest from there when a product is sold, for example you sell cheese sandwiches, but also pieces of bread (that's common here) so if you run out of cheese, cheese sandwich is disabled, but you can still sell bread. or the other way you run out of bread then all the sandwich items are disabled, but you can still sell pasta with cheese. I added an image for reference, I know is alot of work so take your time and thanks again for your work!

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:03:43 am »
I doubt people will use "block cheese sandwich sales when cheese or bread depleted" feature. Normally we don't expect to run out of cheese or bread in a regular restaurant. Creating a warning for inventory items under a certain level should be enough for all cases.

Blocking items from selling should be applied to items which we expect to deplete. For example think of a special food made for midday service and will not be available after sold out. Or some items might be available only on weekends and we can block them to avoid accidental sales.

ericrevollo

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:35:23 pm »
yeah I see what you mean, I'm really interested in that feature you say :D