Author Topic: HELp Required:!!  (Read 12896 times)

mozhi

HELp Required:!!
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:15:54 pm »
Hey Moderators,
You guys are simply rocking. Congrats on a great product. Wish you all the very best for all your upcoming endeavors.

I am from India. I Just downloaded this software and trying to use it on my Aunts restaurant.

Now I would like to configure this system on a network, ie like a server will be running which will have the software installed.
We are planning to use some ipods/or other hand held terminals to take orders. pls suggest the techniques as how we can go about doing this

If you can upload some videos with english sub-titles, it would be appreciated.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: HELp Required:!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:12:05 am »
Hello mozhi;

Setting up client server connections documented here
http://doc.sambapos.org/doku.php/en/dbase/client_server_baglantisi_nasil_yapilir

Running SambaPOS application in tablets is possible with remote desktop applications. There are two SambaPOS client applications for different screen sizes. http://doc.sambapos.org/doku.php/en/guide/posclients

We're using "Pocket Cloud" application for IPads, "2X client" for Android and for WF35 handheld terminals or Windows Mobile clients we're using built in Terminal Client application.

mozhi

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:06:23 pm »
Hi Emre/John,
Can you tell me the steps to do a client server configuration. i am a beginner to DB. I have installed SQLSERVER on server machine
and in client machine i  have tried the data source string in local settings as suggested in the posts. But it is not working.

the app_trace.log says "The provider(TCp) didnot return a providerManifestToken String"  How do i make my server to allow remote connections

Thanks in advance.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:09:52 pm »
Mozhi,

What version of SQL are you using and what operating system are you using?

SQL Express 2008 setup instruction are here - http://doc.sambapos.org/doku.php/tr/dbase/sql_server_2008_express_edition_nasil_kurulur

I always create a new instance called SAMBAPOS.

Make sure you have turned on mixed mode authentication and set a password. Usually User Id = sa, and Password = sambapos or what ever you want - just don't forget it.

Make sure that SQL Browser is set to start automatically, if it is disabled you will have connection issues.

Then in SambaPOS set you Data Connection String to data source=servername\SAMBAPOS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos

And last, but not least, make sure that any firewall software you have is letting the SQL connections pass thru. I find it best to turn off all firewalls until you get it working.

Once that is working make sure that each workstation has it's own Terminal ID in SambaPOS.

This will help with the iPods, etc http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,188.0.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:14:54 pm by JohnSCS »
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

mozhi

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:21:21 am »
Thanks John,
I have currently installed SQL Server 2008 in the server machine along with SAMBA POS instance.
In the client machine i have installed Samba POS with SQLCE for training purpose

In the server the configuratuion of data source = localhost\SQLEXPRESS and it is working fine. I haven't configured any user name/password  so i havent given any authentication strings
In the client machine I dont have SQl server 2008 installed. But i have configured datasource = home\SQLExpress where home is the name of the server where the SQL server installation is present.

I have checked the SQL Browser in the SQL Server configuration Manager tool and it is running perfectly fine and wrt to Windows firewall it is disabled in server PC.

I am not clear about the what is the use of the messaging server, messaging port, auto start message client in the local settings tab? Should it be configured in the client machine/server machine and what purpose does it serve?

WRT to Remote Desktop i have already tested it with my Windows Phone and it is working fine. One small query is Which free software are you using in case of IPOD?

mozhi

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:22:18 am »
Forgot about the Operating system: Both the client computer and the server computer are running on Windows Xp with SP3

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:25:32 am »
I have currently installed SQL Server 2008 in the server machine along with SAMBA POS instance.
In the server the configuratuion of data source = localhost\SQLEXPRESS and it is working fine.
Ok, so you are using the default SQL Instance - SQLEXPRESS - which is ok.

In the client machine i have installed Samba POS with SQLCE for training purpose
In the client machine I dont have SQl server 2008 installed. But i have configured datasource = home\SQLExpress where home is the name of the server where the SQL server installation is present.
Good. You need SQLCE on every workstation that will run SambaPOS Training Mode.
You don't need SQL Server on client computers, only the server.

In the server the configuratuion of data source = localhost\SQLEXPRESS and it is working fine. I haven't configured any user name/password  so i havent given any authentication strings
Ok, problem. Unless all your computers are going to have the same username and password to login to Windows (or you add all the user logins into User Accounts on the server), you WILL need 'Mixed Mode Authentication' turned on in the SQL Server Instance and set a password. Re-run the SQL setup and set a Password for the Instance - Use this as a guide http://doc.sambapos.org/doku.php/tr/dbase/sql_server_2008_express_edition_nasil_kurulur for the process.

I am not clear about the what is the use of the messaging server, messaging port, auto start message client in the local settings tab? Should it be configured in the client machine/server machine and what purpose does it serve?
MessageServer is an App for SambaPOS that allows instant updates between SambaPOS terminals for Table status, and many other features, but Table status is the primary use and really should be used for instant updates. Look at this for how it works SambaPOS iPad, Yazıcı ve Kiosk Entegrasyonu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXaKyMmhvM#]SambaPOS iPad, Yazıcı ve Kiosk Entegrasyonu
Run MessageServer on your server, set a port number if 8080 is already used, make sure Start Server Automatically is Ticked. Then setup all SambaPOS Terminals to use the Message Server, by updating Manage -> Local Settings to
       - Message Server Name = home (your server name)
       - Message Server Port = 8080 (or whatever you set in the MessagerServer App.)
       - Tick Auto Start Message Client.
You will see a green 'Connected' on the bottom left of the screen when the service is running properly - you will need to restart SambaPOS on each workstation before is works.

One small query is Which free software are you using in case of IPOD?
PocketCloud. The best resolution I have found is 400x600, but you can only get this resolution with the paid version. I haven't tested other RDP apps yet, and there are a number to choose from.

Now a note to all who want to use SambaPOS on a network or with multiple RDP clients.

There are many configurations that can be used with SambaPOS, but some are hard to change after the fact. Here is the best solution to future proof your system.

1. Download Microsoft SQL Server Express 2008 - http://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/pd/SQLEXP08V2/enus/default.aspx
2. Install SQL Express with the following settings
          - In Instance Configuration, choose Named Instance - SAMBAPOS
          - In Server Configuration, set SQL Server Browser Startup Type to Automatic
          - In Database Engine Configuration, choose Mixed Mode Authentication, and set the password to sambapos
3. Run SambaPOS on each workstation, making sure that you have a separate Terminal Name for each workstation, then go to Manage -> Local Settings -> Data Connection String and set
          - data source={servername}\SAMBAPOS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos
4. If you have connections issues, turn off all Firewall software and test again. If SambaPOS remote workstations work, then you will need to open access for SQL Express in your Firewall application.

Forum References
http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,189.0.html
http://doc.sambapos.org/doku.php/tr/dbase/sql_server_2008_express_edition_nasil_kurulur

mozhi

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:22:29 am »
Hi Emre/John,

THanks John :), I finally got it working on multiple computers.

Now I would require one more clarification.  My setup would be like I will be    using client machine for my Billing and parcel Counters, and this will be networked to the server machine.

I will have to run RDp from my 2 or 3 Ipods on the server but my windows xp supports only one user a time. Whenever i try connecting from my Ipod the user gets automatically  logged out.

Have you tried such scenario  ie concurrently logging on the server using RDp?

I have tried some termsrv.dll patches, but it was of no use. Should I go with a Server Installation or Can i do something about this on my Win Xp professional itself.

It seemed that you were setting up your setup on Windows 7. Have you tried RDp with 2 or more clients to connect concurrently?

Thanks in advance for your great support.!!

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:08 am »
Mozhi,

You need a terminal server like 2003/2008 or Win7 patched with terminal server. Win XP does not support multiple RDP sessions.

There are applications for XP to make it run as a terminal server, and you will need to google these. But last time I used this kind of software (a few years ago) it had issues as it did not fully separate the users data.

I have used both my iPod, iPad and the Win7 machine all at the same time with no issues.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:47:12 am by JohnSCS »

mozhi

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »
Thanks John for your lightning response, I have already started downloading windows 2003 server. I will update on the status tomorrow after testing it.

Between You have created separate logins for Ipod Ipad and Win 7 machine rite..??

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 12:14:58 pm »
Correct. Each device has it's own login to the terminal server. I used POS01, POS02, and POS03.
Just make sure each has it's own terminal name in SambaPOS.

mozhi

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:22 am »
Hey John,
One more query regd.the terminal services. I have installed windows 7 ultimate on my x86 - pc. Can you send me the link for the terminal services patch for concurrent user login.

Also does it require that the user has to be a administrator user to use the terminal services? have you tested it with standard user accounts?

Thanks in Advance  :)

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:28:17 pm »
I have sent you a PM.

Users can be standard users. Just create separate logins for each user and make sure that SambaPOS is setup and working for each user before you try remoting in with other devices.

mozhi

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 02:10:58 am »
John,
is there any settings that i should use to make the standard user to allow remote desktop connection as by default only the administrator privileged accounts are accessible through RDP sessions.

Regd. the application to run on ipod, can you suggest the suitable settings like the fit to screen option on RDP lite/ any other free app on iphone.

If my windows machine is set to a higher resolution say 1280 x 1024, and if i set the resolution on ipod rdp client to 400 x 600, how will it work? should i lock the screen after getting the right screen size and try operating on the ipod?

The reason behind asking this question is when i use my windows phone with fit to window option, I am able to completely view all the menu items and the ordered items as well clearly, where as in the ipod it is not very clear, i have to zoomin every time to check if the order taken is correct or not.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 04:07:24 am »
John,
is there any settings that i should use to make the standard user to allow remote desktop connection as by default only the administrator privileged accounts are accessible through RDP sessions.
Go to Control Panel -> System -> Remote Settings
Select 'Allow Connections from Computers running any version of RDP'
Select Users and add your remote users

Regd. the application to run on ipod, can you suggest the suitable settings like the fit to screen option on RDP lite/ any other free app on iphone.
I run PocketCloud Pro @ 400x600. Most don't allow you to set a custom screen resolution. Mocha RDP Lite does allow custom resolutions.

If my windows machine is set to a higher resolution say 1280 x 1024, and if i set the resolution on ipod rdp client to 400 x 600, how will it work? should i lock the screen after getting the right screen size and try operating on the ipod?

The reason behind asking this question is when i use my windows phone with fit to window option, I am able to completely view all the menu items and the ordered items as well clearly, where as in the ipod it is not very clear, i have to zoomin every time to check if the order taken is correct or not.
The Terminal App was originally designed for Windows Mobile. Using different devices will give varying results.
Most RDP programs can be set to a specific resolution and Windows will use this.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:14:16 am by JohnS »