Author Topic: Different Databases that SambaPOS Uses  (Read 12148 times)

JohnS

• Global Moderator
Different Databases that SambaPOS Uses
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:12:14 pm »
Hi All,

I thought that I would quickly outline the different databases SambaPOS uses to help new users in their setup and testing.

What are the databases used (You will see the currently used database at the bottom left of the login screen of SambaPOS)
1. TX - This is a simple text file for evaluating SambaPOS and is used if Compact SQL is not selected during installation of SambaPOS. The TX database should only ever be used to see what SambaPOS is all about, and to get a feel for what can be done. It has limited functionality and IS NOT for production systems.
2. CE - This is Compact SQL that can be installed when you install SambaPOS. The CE database is great for standalone systems where you only need one POS terminal. It is fast, stable and easy to setup during installation of SambaPOS.
3. SQ - SQL Express which you need to install separately and configure SambaPOS to use. SQL Express is used for networked systems where you have multiple workstations connected to a central SQL Server. This is the common setup of most venues, and gives you good performance and very high stability and data integrity.

FAQ
Q. Can I migrate from one database to another?
A. Yes, but only for CE & SQ. SQ to CE is easy - just use the SambaPOS Training Mode to create a CE .sdf file. CE to SQ is a little more involved, but is briefly documented here http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,271.0.html

Q. How do I install SQL Express?
A. http://doc.sambapos.org/doku.php/tr/dbase/sql_server_2008_express_edition_nasil_kurulur - outlines the installation process for SQL Express 2008 (but please take note of the next section below), which can be downloaded from here SQL Express 2008 R2 32bit or SQL Express 2008 R2 64bit and both will install SQL Server Management Studio.

Q. Isn't SQL Express hard to install?
A. Installation - no, but many factors can cause issues with SQL Express connectivity, namely Firewalls, but once you have SQL Express setup, it is easy to use and connect to.

Things to remember when installing SQL Express
1. During installation, create a new instance called 'SAMBAPOS'.
2. Make sure that you set SQL Browser to Automatic startup.
3. Make sure you select Mixed Mode Authentication, and set a password for the 'sa' account.
4. Goto SQL Server Configuration Manager, and make sure SQL Browser is running, and that the Client Protocols are ALL enabled.
5. Set the Data Connection String (Manage->Settings->Local Settings) in SambaPOS - On all computers connecting to the SQL Express database, use this data connection string as a template - data source=server\SAMBAPOS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos
Change 'server' to the name of the computer running SQL Express, and change 'sambapos' to the sa password you set during SQL Express setup.

If you still have connection issues, make sure ALL firewalls are turned OFF.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:00:20 pm by JohnS »
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

spanky

Re: Different Databases that SambaPOS Uses
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:15:50 am »
Excellent guide! Many things are now clearer. thanks Johos
Regarding compact sql in rdp for now I only found this problem:
When you open the same table at 2 stations will be stored only the last to close.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:39 pm »
Do you have the MessageServer running?
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

maozen

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:29:49 am »
I'm trying to make a client server configuration for sambapos. And i've done many tryes..

First using my laptop (vista) like server and 1 touch screen (xp) like client then now 'im trying to use to touch screen (xp) 1 server and 1 client.

I've try to follow your post and some other found in the forum even the most recents but when i try to connect the client i always get the same error message :

Cannot connect to database with the current connection settings. Please check the connection string

ProviderManifestToken

My connection string is the following :

data source=BAR\SAMBAPOS; User Id=sa; Password=yakiniku

on the server machine i can connect with this string on client no....

The two computer are on a stable network is the two machine i'm using with my actual program.

what's wrong? what i missed?

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »
We recently talked about a similar problem under this topic. It may help.
http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,521.0.html

Stelzi79

• My mercural-fork on Bitbucket
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:55:00 pm »
Looks like a firewall issue.

I HOPE YOU HAVE CHANGED YOUR DB-PASSWORD! (normaly you shouldn't post passwords in conncection-strings)

And by the way Vista dosn't do well with other windows-version in networks. I had only problems using vista on POS-Systems. After switching to 7 or 8 I hadn't any problems any more.
My changes to the official version:
MY mercurial fork on bitbucket