Author Topic: Cash Drawers  (Read 26856 times)

JohnS

• Global Moderator
Cash Drawers
« on: November 27, 2011, 09:51:35 pm »
Hi All,

What support is in SambaPOS for cash drawers?
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: Cash Drawers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:47:41 am »
You can connect the cash drawer to the thermal printer. Adding <DRAWER> command in a printer template will open the cash drawer.

willibcn

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:51:50 pm »
Hi there, would there also be a possibility to open the cashdrawer when I press the "cash" button?

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:46:29 am »
Yes you can configure SambaPOS to do it by creating an automated Print Job.

First of all you'll need to create an empty printer template for sending only <DRAWER> command to printer:
  • Create new "Printer Template"
  • Name it as "Open Drawer"
  • Enter <DRAWER> to Header Template.
Now we'll create a Print Job to send this template to printer when payments contains Cash.
  • Create new "Print Job"
  • Name it as "Open Cash Drawer Job"
  • Auto Print After: will be Ticket Paid
  • Auto Print for Payment Types: check only Cash
  • Add a Print Mapping, leave every columns (*). Choose the printer from Printer Column and Choose Printer Template as Open Drawer. The printer should be the printer connected to the drawer.
  • Save it, open Terminals, open Server and add this print job to the Print Jobs list.
Thats all. Now SambaPOS should open cash drawer automatically when a payment includes cash payment.

Instead of doing automatically you can create a "Open Drawer" button. Do everything the same but while creating the Print Job:
  • Enter "Button Name" as "Open Drawer".
  • Auto Print After: will be Manual
  • Uncheck Display at POS Screen
  • Leave Display at Payment Screen checked.
Now you'll have a "Open Drawer" button in the payment screen. When clicked it should open Cash Drawer.

If drawer connected directly to a COM port, you can create a new Printer, change printer type to Port Printer, name it with Port Name, add required port commands to a printer template and send this printer template to the Port Printer. We operate COM port connected "cash register" devices through port printers but  required port commands to open drawer might vary by Cash Drawer model. So operating it with a thermal printer is easiest way.

willibcn

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:05:37 am »
Thank's, I tried it that way, the only thing it prints a small ticket with the number "414", but doesn't open the cash drawer. I've got connected a "Bixolon SRP350" Ticket printer and the cash drawer is connected directly with the printer. Worked fine with the POS I used before. Any idea???

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:25:41 am »
Can you try replacing <DRAWER> command with <XCT 27,112,48,55,121> command?

willibcn

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 06:35:29 am »
Yes!!!!!   Great, it works. Thank's a lot!

willibcn

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 12:09:40 pm »
we are now working a few days with the open cash drawer and it works fine, just one thing i wanted to comment. An example: i print the bill, for example with an amount of 18€, go to the table with the bill, they give me 20€, i come back and press the 20€ button and the cash button, so it shows me change 2€ but doesn't open the cash drawer.
so i have to press the close button than it opens the cash drawer but it also deletes the change field, so I have to remember the change before. :P, would be great if it opens in the moment i press the cash button not the close button.....
is it possible to change that?

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 06:01:05 am »
Hello willibcn. Very nice idea.
I think you need an additional "Auto Print After" option in Print Job settings and that should trigger immediately on cash payment received.

Until we implement this you can add an "Open Drawer" button in payment screen to open it manually without leaving payment screen. I described it on my first post.
Thanks.

willibcn

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 02:17:02 pm »
Thank's emre, that's what I made. Every day a little change.  :)

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 11:35:33 am »
Hello willibcn;
I added a little feature to 2.70 release for your issue.

You'll configure an Action and a Rule for triggering Print Job on clicking Cash.

First of all if you have any automatically triggered (When To Print = Ticket Paid) Print Job, change "When to Print" setting to Manual.

For creating the action:
  • From "Actions" screen create an Action
  • Name it as something like Execute Open Drawer Job
  • Set "Action Type" to "Execute Print Job".
  • Under Parameters label "Print Job Name" parameter should appear. Select the print job you configured for opening drawer.
  • Save it.
Now we configured an action for executing that print job. Let's configure when it will trigger.
  • From "Rules" screen create a Rule.
  • Name it as you wish. (For example Trigger Cash Drawer Command)
  • From "Event Name" list choose "Payment Received"
  • Set "PaymentType" parameter to "Cash" so it will trigger only when payment type is Cash.
  • Click Select Actions.
  • Choose Execute Open Drawer Job (or whatever you named it as) action from Actions list by double clicking on it.
  • Save and Close
Now it should open cash drawer as soon as you click on Cash button.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:01:32 pm by emre »

willibcn

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 06:28:43 am »
Yeah it works, great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »
Thank you for all the great replies - working great.
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

prismbeer

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 06:47:57 pm »
We're using a similar method... but the printer prints a small piece of paper with nothing on it. Does it matter where the drawer command is? Right now it is in the header, but it prints this small piece... any advice?

willibcn

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:15 pm »
the same happens to me. a small piece of paper every time it opens the cash drawer.