Author Topic: Multiple SambaPOS running on single computer with different connection string.  (Read 11923 times)

SAMBA USER

Hello everone,
First of all cheer to SambaPOS team for a great software.
My question is if I want to install multiple SambaPOS  into to single computer with different connection string for each, would it be possible and the step to do it.  I've tried but always end up with the same string on all of them when log out and back in again.  I want to have different screen for different menu at different time of the day.
Is it possible? Running 2.99 CE.

Thanks
Samba User

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Did you tried creating multiple departments with separate menu configurations? If you only want to change prices by time of the day it is also possible by using price lists.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:02:17 am by emre »

SAMBA USER

Hey Emre,
I've tried that. Putting the .sdf files in different locations, drives,usb, folders.  It would turn to the latest string on both application.  Although the application is on different folder and location, they converged to the latest when open another SAMBAPOS app.

Gr8 work on the software!

JohnS

• Global Moderator
The reason why you cannot run two installations on the same computer is not just the database, but also there is a settings file that SambaPos uses to know which database to connect to. This file is loaded first and must be in one of the known locations for SambaPos to find it.

Using multiple departments is the best solution, otherwise you could develop a script (similar to the training script I wrote) to change the connection string to the different databases. But the side affect is that only one instance of SambaPos can run at any one time.
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

SAMBA USER

Thanks John,
Even if installed another on a different drive in a different computer then transfer the drive over?

:-\

JohnS

• Global Moderator
The Sambapos settings file is linked to your user account for Windows. It doesn't matter where you install it. It actually resides in the c:\programdata folder in Win7 machines by default.

SAMBA USER

Thanks John. Let me try another way.

Samba User

JohnS

• Global Moderator
If you need simultaneous access to multiple installs of SambaPos you can try this.

1.. Setup an RDP Server on your network (remoting into the same computer usually doesn't work thanks to the new version of RDP)
2.. Create the new user accounts and RDP in as each user and make sure SambaPos is working
3.. Copy the SambaSettings.txt file from C:\ProgramData\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2 to C:\users\{user account}\AppData\Roaming\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2\ (if Win7) to make this instance unique to other users and rename the original file so it is not used
4.. RDP back in and change the connection string to connect to a new/different database for each user

Using my Server 2008 step 1 works but will only allow 2 RDP sessions by default.

Hope this helps.