Author Topic: Feedback on Tablets: RDP Route or Windows Tablet Route?  (Read 6756 times)

Isaac

Feedback on Tablets: RDP Route or Windows Tablet Route?
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:09:49 pm »
Hi People

SambaPOS is the most user friendly and easy to learn POS System I have come across and hoping to implement my system very soon. Once the hardware arrives that is. Thumbs up to Emre and everyone involved.

I have tested SambaPOS on a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tablet(Android) using 2X RDP APP. Not bad but I felt that there was definitely some lag. I also did not rate the touch screen on it.

Common sense suggests that a Windows Tablet that has the sambapos installed directly on it will be more responsive but I am yet to test this as I do not have a Windows Tablet.

So my question what is likely to perform better?

Android via RDP APP "2X"
Apple Tablet via RDP APP "PocketCloud"

or a Windows Tablet?

Please share your experiences in this post.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:12:15 pm by i_dinler »

Isaac

Re: Feedback on Tablets: RDP Route or Windows Tablet Route?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:31:00 am »
Anyone?

lemmings

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
I originally tried a galaxy tablet and performance was OK but every so often communications would hang so it was what I would call unreliable.

I swapped to Sony Windows tablet which was roughly the same hardware spec but I never had the RDP bottleneck so it proved reliable and usuable.

I have never bothered with Apple kit as I dont like them again mainly because the known issues when communicating with Windows based systems.

Hope this helps.

Stelzi79

• My mercural-fork on Bitbucket
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:42:13 pm »
When the WebApi is more complete it will be very easy to code Win8/WinPhone 8-, Android- and iOS-Apps for SambaPOS. RDP-Protokoll is havier because there is more data transfered. The WebApi will be a simple http-rest-api which would be faster but you have to code a client. I think on the longrun the WebApi will be a better aproach to do mobile touchbased POSing.
My changes to the official version:
MY mercurial fork on bitbucket

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:57:37 am »
I originally tried a galaxy tablet and performance was OK but every so often communications would hang so it was what I would call unreliable.

I swapped to Sony Windows tablet which was roughly the same hardware spec but I never had the RDP bottleneck so it proved reliable and usuable.

I have never bothered with Apple kit as I dont like them again mainly because the known issues when communicating with Windows based systems.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience Lemmings. Is your tablet running on Windows RT? If not do you know if it will run on a Windows RT Tablet?

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 02:12:03 am »
Okay it seems Windows RT runs only specific apps and is not the Windows we know. So the tablet has to run the a proper version of the OS.

lemmings

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:23:17 am »
When the WebApi is more complete it will be very easy to code Win8/WinPhone 8-, Android- and iOS-Apps for SambaPOS. RDP-Protokoll is havier because there is more data transfered. The WebApi will be a simple http-rest-api which would be faster but you have to code a client. I think on the longrun the WebApi will be a better aproach to do mobile touchbased POSing.

Sounds interesting. This relates to V3 of SambaPos.

I will keep a close eye on these developments as will improve use of tablets without the need for a RDP app.

lernoutmaltas

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:44:24 pm »
Several options tested 2X Client for example and several others that worked was the only Teamviewer App for androi but I can not use the touch screen, will be the 2X Client works with touch screen? tested on a tablet running Android 2.2 and a Samsung with android 4 in all these client 2 X does not work as well as being very confusing and without any support, but only in teamviewer installed and ready worked, however it must be trying to move the small arrow to the parts of Sambapos something found rather uncomfortable