Author Topic: Error when connecting TABLET: Access to the port 'COM4' is denied.  (Read 13530 times)

Isaac

Re: Error when connecting TABLET: Access to the port 'COM4' is denied.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 09:20:47 am »
Hi John,

Great Advice. Worked a Charm!  :) Slightly different approach.

I created another installation of SambaPOS on the Windows Account the Tablet uses. ie TABLET

I then Logged into the new SambaPOS(which resides in a different directory to the one the till uses) on the Tablet and in Local Settings set the Terminal Name: TABLET rather than TILL. As advised.

In the Rules section, I entered the condition = TILL for all Pole Display Rules.  Which meant any rules relating to the customer display will come from the TILL terminal only.

However, the error I originally received would not even let me log into SambaPOS hence I was unable to even change terminal name. To be able to log in I had to logout of the main terminal TILL and then log in via the TABLET and change the Terminal Name.

A very happy ending and would not have been possible without the help of John, Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:16:28 pm by i_dinler »

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 09:34:51 am »
Your problem was that your Windows Terminal Patch is not a true Terminal Server setup, and you were sharing the same SambaSettings.txt for both terminals.

It is a tricky setup, but the thing to remember is that using a Tablet requires its own installation of SambaPOS with a unique SambaSettings.txt file to work properly.

Usually the SambaSettings.txt file resides in C:\ProgramData\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2 - which is shared for the whole system and all users.
For your setup, moving the SambaSettings.txt file to C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2 will fix this as it then becomes specific to the user account logged in.

You should no longer need the Terminal Name condition in your rules, just make sure the Tablet doesn't have Pole Display print jobs assigned to it.

If you have this situation again, log into the Till using the Tablet windows account and make the changes (the Pole Display is connected and you wont get the COM error)
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 04:56:03 am »
As a side note we have shortcut buttons on local settings screen for displaying application and user folders.

Isaac

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 09:07:57 am »
How would we change the path?

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 05:48:17 pm »
Just move the SambaSettings.txt from ProgramData to the user path and start SambaPOS. It will work it out by itself.

As Emre stated, Manage->Settings->Local Settings, has Display App Path and Display User Path

Default Locations
Win7/2008 - C:\ProgramData\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2\SambaSettings.txt
WinXP/2003 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2\SambaSettings.txt

User Locations
Win7/2008 - C:\Users\{user profile}\AppData\Roaming\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2\SambaSettings.txt
WinXP/2003 - C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile}\Application Data\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2\SambaSettings.txt

SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.