English Boards > Support

database locations

<< < (2/4) > >>

JohnS:
SQL Express 2008 runs fine on Win 7 - you don't need a server. I run Win 7 on an old Dell D620 Centrino laptop, with SQL Express 2005 and have the following running off
- 2x Full functional POS terminals (touch screen, thermal printer, pole display, cash drawer)
- 1x Server 2003 (testing 2003/XP usage)
- 1x iPod Touch (2Gen) - RDP
- 1x iPhone 4S - RDP
- 1x iPad - RDP

Personally, I have been setting up single terminals with SQL Express, as I bet the customer will want more terminals later, or an iPad.
To migrate from SQLCE to SQL Express can be done (I haven't tried yet), and really don't want the drama later.

Emre's script lists the tables that you need to empty data from - just don't use 'drop', use 'truncate' or 'delete' if you do it manually. It should work fine running the script. If you have problems, you can always email it to me and I can wipe the transactional data.

My only advise is that Microsoft SQL Servers tend to not release resources very well, and you should restart the system weekly to avoid running low on RAM.

jenem:
Thanks John,
I'll install sql express and move database over. I'll let you know how I get on.

If I remember SQL Drop command remove the table doesn't it?

Edgar

JohnS:
Get SQL Express 2008 from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22973 - it has the management studio with it.
SQL 2008 RC2 Express http://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/pd/SQLEXP08V2/enus/default.aspx - has both 32 & 64 Bit and also option to download with tools.

Yes, Drop removes a table  :)

I have attached my SQL Express script that I have been using with RazorSQL editor.

jenem:
Thanks John,

Play later  :)

Edgar

jenem:
Hi John,

One issue that may throw people installing sql express on windows 7 is an error message saying product not compatible with windows 7.

You have to download sqlexpress sp3.

Another problem you may run into is setup asking you to browse for installation media.

I found it difficult look for it. On looking for a solution one suggestion was to rename .exe setup file to .zip and extract using 7zip.

I found 7zip could extract installation files without being renamed. I could then navigate to the downloaded extracted files and select them and installation would then continue.

Edgar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version