Author Topic: Regd. Printers  (Read 8054 times)

mozhi

Regd. Printers
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:56:29 am »
Hi Emre/John,
You people are simply rocking. Thanks for replying to all the queries posted.

I have a question about the configuration of printers.

Our Samba POS configuration is currently done on a single computer. Every other person will use it through Remote Desktop connection only.

I have a scenario like I have a Restaurant in 3rd floor, My server will sit on the same floor and i Will be using a Wireless router for using Handheld terminals to take orders and I will be having a Parcel Counter in the ground Floor.

There will be 3 printers,
One at the Kitchen it will be a KOT/Ethernet Printer.
One Printer at the billing counter connected to billing POS machine
One printer at the Parcel Counter connected to parcel POS machine

Is it possible to print the restaurant bills on the client printer and Parcel Bills on the Parcel Printer.

Note: Both Restaurant and Parcel Printers are not KOT / ethernet Printers. They will be serial/parallel/USB printers.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
Re: Regd. Printers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:17:38 am »
Thanks Mozhi,

Remote desktop is great for PDA's and iPad's, but it can be a little sluggish, so I would recommend only using RDP if it's necessary because you want to use ThinClients or you can't install SambaPOS onto the terminal (winCE os).

As long as all printers are shared, and you configure them in SambaPOS using their shared name (ie \\parcel-pc\parcel-printer) then there should be no issues. You may need separate print jobs for some terminals to make sure they print where you want them to. It is as easy as cloning a print job and selecting a different printer, then add that new print job to the terminal(s) that needs it.

The Ethernet printer shouldn't be an issue, but if it is for some reason, map it to the server and re-share (ie \\server\kitchen-ptr).

Always setup each login to the server using the full version of SambaPOS making sure you set the terminal name and print jobs associated with that terminals role. Once working the way you want, then login and run the terminal app and test.

Always start simple, so do the restaurant setup first as it's the most common and the sample database already has this scenario configured, just set the printers in the print jobs. Once that's working the way you want, then add the parcel printer and terminal and create the printer templates and print jobs for it.

For best performance use MS SQL Express 2005/2008. Compact SQL does have limitations with multiple terminals running.

Hope this helps. If you need more specific setups, please ask.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:33:15 am by JohnSCS »
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.