Author Topic: database slower  (Read 7405 times)

spanky

database slower
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:00:14 am »
if I enter the SQL Server Express as the program runs slower than with SQL Compact
why?

JohnS

• Global Moderator
Re: database slower
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:09:01 am »
If you are running SQL express on another computer thru a network, then it's the network slowing things down.
SQL Compact runs locally, and will be faster than a network.
We run 3 terminals over wifi to a SQL Express server at one site and find its ok most of the time, but can be a little slow during peak periods, but not too slow to be negative on productivity. Site will be fully cabled when renovations are complete later this year.
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

spanky

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:13:43 am »
I use it locally, and still see a smaller polar response when you press a button with respect to compact sql

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:46:45 am »
SQL Compact is a light weight standalone SQL server with less overheads than SQL Express. Maybe that is what your experiencing. SQL Express is a resource hog.

What spec is the computer you are running it on?

spanky

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:07:05 pm »
PC is a AMD Sempron 1.9 ghz - 2 giga ram

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 03:22:11 pm »
SQL Compact is faster because multiple connection features removed for making it fast. It is good for solving local data storage problems. On some systems finishing first ticket might be slower with SQL Express because of some caching operations but after creating first ticket it should work fine.

Additionally... One of our first SambaPOS installation is working at a 7/24 restaurant with 1 server 2 wall kiosks and 3 handheld terminals. They are using SQL Express and they've created more than 75.000 tickets and 150.000 orders without any issues, slowness or other database related problem. We only visit them when we are hungry :)

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:55:27 am »
Well, I am also running 2 terminals and a server with SQL Express, no speed issues on the terminals at all. The server does however show some strain, but that is because of SQL Server running of it, not because of SambaPOS, and of course it is not a state of the art pc, little bit old, sorry ..... very old, it is only a Celeron 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM and I push it too the limit with all the other stuff I do as well.

Point is that SambaPOS does not cause any issues at all.
Even in Namibia, Africa!

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 01:19:40 am »
PC is a AMD Sempron 1.9 ghz - 2 giga ram

Personally, I will not use AMD processors as they are not a business class processor.

We use Intel ATOM CPU's for the workstations, and Intel i7's for the servers. Standalone workstations running SQL Express are still only Intel ATOM processors and run well.

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 01:31:32 am »
John ..... it will soon be my birthday *hint hint*

I would also suggest to go with Intel if you want to ensure best performance and stability, but in my case, I have to use what I have since the business is very young ;)
Even in Namibia, Africa!