English Boards > Tutorials

Configuration backup

<< < (2/5) > >>

jenem:
Hi John,

Good idea!!

Edgar

emre:
I liked the local training idea. It will be fine for training new users on a production environment with real data. My idea was starting a "Training Work Period" from management and reverting everything back when that work period ends. What do you think about that?

jenem:
Hi Emre,

Could a default user called trainer be created that once logged in worked on a read only copy of the data base and not the actual one?

ie real database
 training data base copy

That way the copy database would show everything that is on the main database but not write ticket or stock values to original data base

Just a thought  :)

Edgar

JohnS:

--- Quote from: emre on January 29, 2012, 09:01:46 am ---"Training Work Period"

--- End quote ---

I like that. But can you keep stock consumption, and tickets info separate from the live data? Wouldn't all users then be in training mode if using "Training Work Period" since you can only have one work period running?

Duplicating the database gives you full run of all data to experiment with, not only for training but development of promos, and other features. Having a single terminal logging into training mode means you can train during working hours.

chrismint:
Hi,

From a usability point of view either a training user that would allow you to play around without affecting trading figures, or a toggle to put a terminal in training mode temporarily would be best.

I think as there are two situations were you'd need this - training new staff and testing a system - the best solution would be as follows.
- an option to set a particular user as a training user, in which case anything they do doesn't get logged on final sales stats and any print outs are highlighted as being training only.  This would allow you to train new servers without affecting sales figures
- an option to set a terminal as being a dummy terminal.  Ideally this would allow you to test everything including opening and closing periods.  Again without affecting sales figures.  Maybe just adding a flag to each entry whilst in this mode and an option to delete any entries flagged with this?

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version