Author Topic: SambaPOS Settings  (Read 5231 times)

JohnS

• Global Moderator
SambaPOS Settings
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:09:49 am »
Emre,

I have been playing with using a single system to also support a concurrent RDP session from an iPad. The reason for this is that a few clients have seen the iPad in action and would like it for table service. Obviously having a full terminal server will require a more powerful system and costly server software which is not cost effective for a small venue - especially when we are trying to keep the POS terminal footprint to a minimum to save space. Not to mention the money spend on the server could pay for another POS terminal.

Now I haven't tested this on a terminal server like 2003/2008 yet (thats tomorrow), but I did activate terminal services in Windows 7 (cheapest solution for a client) and found that even with separate logins, all logins shared the SambaPOS local app settings due to it being stored in a common location rather than under the users profile. So all logins act as the same terminal in SambaPOS and cause crashes on startup.

Like I said, I will play with this more tomorrow on a full terminal server, but is there a way to move the settings file to a users profile on Win7?

SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: SambaPOS Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:41:53 am »
You'll see two buttons under local settings screen.
Copy SambaSettings.txt from Application Folder to User Folder. If a SambaSettings.txt file found at User Folder SambaPOS will use that.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 07:56:07 am »
See. I knew you would have an answer for this.

Like I have said before, you guys have a creative approach and well thought out designs - that's what makes SambaPOS special!

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:23:19 pm »
Got it working with a Win7 terminal server.

I was having crashes when logging both users in, but then found that it was a sharing violation due to the comm port used by the pole display. Both users were attempting to use the same comm port.
I set the pole display rules to only run for the main terminal. Remote users have no need for the pole display.

All works very well, and the additional user resource overhead is around 300mb ram.