Author Topic: Split Bills  (Read 9934 times)

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
Split Bills
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:51:47 am »
I would like to suggest a more user friendly way to split bills then using the "Move" option.

I am currently using a POS that has a really easy and nice way to do Split Bills. I am sure you can get a pretty good idea from it.

You can select into how many different tickets you want to split it.
The with the use of Buttons (Arrows) you can select to which ticket you want to move an item.
Once all the moving is done you press finish and you will have 2 or more tickets with the same number with with the items split up then each ticket/bill can be paid separately.
(Please see images attached)

I hope this helps.

GK
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.
Even in Namibia, Africa!

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: Split Bills
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »
Hey, isn't that FloreantPOS? I never tried it but from their screen shots it looks like a good software. I hope they'll continue developing that.

There is no need to split tickets for separating payments.
You can easily choose items from the left side of the settlement screen.
If needed you can also add a button to print a ticket for last paid items by adding a print job with Printing Content selected as "Last Paid Items".

IMHO other than payment cases splitting a ticket more than two pieces is rarely needed. For now I'm not sure if implementing such a complex feature will be a big benefit for SambaPOS or not. If you need that feature frequently for a reason I'd like to hear your case.

Note: How do you move 3 of 5 items to next ticket?

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:08:55 am »
Yes that is Floreant, but it seems to be in its dying stages, unfortunately.

If you have 5 items and need to move 3 of them to other tickets then you simply select the item and click on it 3 times, lol. So basically you move one item at a time.

In my case I have to split tickets at least 2 times a day. I have a coffee shop/street cafe in the central business district to I can many customers that will meet  friends here for lunch of for a sun-downer after work. In most cases the bill will usually start out as one until one of them leave or by the second or third round one of the others will offer to pay for some of the drinks.

It also happens that the group of people will start out at one table and then later split up ans sit with someone else, for example someone will come in an while he is waiting for his girlfriend he well sit and have a drink with friends, so when girlfriend arrives he will either move or the friends have paid and left.

I am sure that the current "moving" and partially paying option will work, but the way Floreant did it was really easy to split the tickets and still carry on adding orders to the split tickets.

GK
Even in Namibia, Africa!

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:49:09 am »
Hi, CafeCuppio...

Select Table > Select Items > Move > Settle or Change Table
I can't imagine an easier workflow for splitting / settling tickets. Why do you prefer that screen instead of just doing that?

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:59:48 am »
Hi, CafeCuppio...

Select Table > Select Items > Move > Settle or Change Table
I can't imagine an easier workflow for splitting / settling tickets. Why do you prefer that screen instead of just doing that?

Sorry Emre,
It is very simple and I played with it today, it is just the old brain stuck in the Floreant gear ...  :P
Even in Namibia, Africa!

EricAllen

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 10:57:04 am »
Thank you Emre and team for creating this wonderful software. I've been monitoring it for awhile now to see how it progresses. It shows great potential and I would love to start using it. I really do enjoy the process for settling separate checks that you have now. It is smooth and extremely conducive to a lot of smaller environments. I definitely wouldn't get rid of it. I do however like CafeCuppio's suggestion. It is very similar to one that I'm used to. The only difference being that in the one I'm familiar with you can move multiple items at once or even create 'seats' with groups of items and then move them around. You can also split items which is increasingly becoming a handy feature but is apparently a programming nightmare. All these features help with the flow of the restaurant. The seat grouping is related to another feature called 'Pivot Seating' where the server orders all the food in seat sections with the check. The first seat would already be defined, such as the first seat to the left when approaching the table from a certain direction. Having the seats predefined allows other employees to deliver the food to each individual without having been the order taker. With restaurant patrons consisting more and more of groups of friends instead of families we see the need to split checks grow. Being able to separate them out and see them as wholly different checks is useful. We also need to be able to print those checks individually for the table. Splitting items is handy because of this same dynamic. If a large group of friends shares one or more appetizers it makes it easier to be able to make 2 or 3 items out of one and put it on the separate checks.  Thank you again for creating what I see as the most promising new POS software out there.

pecanhouse

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »
Just a thought instead of setting your map with table add the table to the map and add the seats as seats eg t1 for table 1 s1t1 s2t1 for seat 1 and 2 for table 1 then the table can order and at the end get split.

EricAllen

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »
pecanhouse: That's a really good idea but I'm not sure I'd use that in the long run. The huge increase in tables would slow down use. It would also be impossible to enter in each seats order fluidly going between screens. Your idea would fix the check splitting issue completely though so it could be helpful in some situations. I've also seen people create tables for every bar stool so that idea would help there as well.

oda

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:32:25 pm »
Instead of creating tables to split the ticket, why don't we just have the function to print the split ticket. I think this would be much better, since samba pos can split the ticket equally, or you can just which items to split. Thus, if we can just be able to print (maybe through action and rules?) the split ticket that would solve the problem (if the customer each want their split ticket). Just my two cents!

Regards,
Leon.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:58:54 pm »
Instead of creating tables to split the ticket, why don't we just have the function to print the split ticket. I think this would be much better, since samba pos can split the ticket equally, or you can just which items to split. Thus, if we can just be able to print (maybe through action and rules?) the split ticket that would solve the problem (if the customer each want their split ticket). Just my two cents!

Regards,
Leon.

Clone your Receipt Print Job and change the Printing Content to Last Paid Lines, and change the Button Header to Print Receipt Selected Items, and just have Display At Payment Screen selected.
Now when you are at the Settle screen, and you select the Items from the left, you can click Print Receipt Selected Items and it will give you a Receipt with just those Items.

Emre,

Can we get the Item Tags on the Settle Screen so its easier to select by Seat?

oda

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »
Nice, I will try this later on!
Thank you John!

Regards,
Leon.

EricAllen

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 08:10:57 am »
Clone your Receipt Print Job and change the Printing Content to Last Paid Lines, and change the Button Header to Print Receipt Selected Items, and just have Display At Payment Screen selected.
Now when you are at the Settle screen, and you select the Items from the left, you can click Print Receipt Selected Items and it will give you a Receipt with just those Items.

Emre,

Can we get the Item Tags on the Settle Screen so its easier to select by Seat?

That's perfect. I still like the check splitting GUI for large jobs but that idea lends itself well to the method currently in place.

Thank You,
Eric

zaz

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:23 pm »
Hi All,
I am new here! Please understand.

My question is : how can i add different orders to be paid to the same ticket?
like : 3 guys come to seat together and they do not want all in the same ticket. like 1 (table) to many and printing it before be paid ...

zaz

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:53 pm »
any ideas?

toni

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 07:20:27 am »

John  my problem is here,  When I run  "Print Receipt Selected Items " job,   Tendered amount and Change Due values are empty on the receipt or shows previous values ?