Author Topic: Payroll for Waiters  (Read 4983 times)

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
Payroll for Waiters
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:56 am »
Hi

I saw in a post somewhere that Emre mentioned the implementation of basic accounting in V3. I was thinking that it would be great to implement a basic payroll system form the waiters. I do not know if this is already on the to-do list.

I will also provide more info on what I have seen in the industry on wage options when it comes to waiters should it be needed.

Thanks!
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.
Even in Namibia, Africa!

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: Payroll for Waiters
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:34:15 pm »
I've already implemented the basic infrastructure for V3. I'll be happy if you can share more info about that. So I can evaluate if current implementation can handle the need.

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:42:53 am »
Great Emre,

Well, the industry here use about 3 models.

1 - Commission Based (or basic wage with added commission).
2 - Hourly based wage - Needs clocking/time keeping.
3 - Set Wage - Also needs time keeping for overtime.

I am much more interested in Commission based since it was also the biggest deal breaker when I looked for a new POS solution. I am in the process the switch my waitering staff over to commission based. The rest of my staff like the kitchen is on a set wage.

This is shortly the models most used here.
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.
Even in Namibia, Africa!

EricAllen

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:10:05 pm »
Emre,
     I don't know how you stay on top of everything but I'm really interested in this feature as well. It's definitely a game changer in the market I work in. Most owners want to know what their labor percentage is at any given moment. So they can know if they have too many people working during certain hours.

Most restaurants here have people working with three different pay types and typically pay weekly or biweekly. Most management is paid salary. Kitchen and support staff are paid hourly. Then service staff would be paid a small hourly amount plus collected tips. It can get a bit more complicated if people want to see tip share or tip outs on their reports. Tip sharing is where all the tips are shared between the servers. Tip outs are where the service staff would tip out support staff either by merit or percentage depending on the tradition of the restaurant. Tip tracking for Hourly+tipped employees is mandatory for restaurant here even though enforcement is historically lax.

Overtime is typically 1.5x normal pay starting after 40 hours in a week but having the ability to change those sort of variables is handy. A lot of people will work multiple jobs within a restaurant sometimes at different pay rates. The ability to use one pin but have different jobs and rates would be great. Where I live you are paid overtime at the rate of the job you are working once you hit 40 hours until you clocked in as something else.

Basically the two things that I run into that every owner/manager wants is active or past labor percentages and accurate payroll reports. Some people like to have scheduling built in but I'd honestly be more interested in Hostschedules integration at that point.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try to take them into account while designing these features.
What I'm thinking is:
At first we'll credit personnel account manually and track payments.
Second, we'll implement crediting personnel account automatically with fixed rate wage amounts.
Third, we'll implement something for tracking work hours and calculate wages dynamically.
Lastly we'll find a way for distributing tips to personnel accounts.

Nice :)

topsplodge

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:32:03 pm »
I would love to see the basic, they log in (first logon / signon) when they arrive  and I can log them out when its time for them to be paid as the casual staff paid an hourly rate and then record its a cash transaction for that work period. Details of rate paid held under the user.

Our tips are done on the total tips divided by the total hours worked by all to get tip rate per hour then times the  number of hours worked for each person cleanest way.

That is something that is basic and covers two aspects and can be developed further but only a little suggestion.

Tops