Author Topic: Migrate to sql express  (Read 6875 times)

morcrag

Migrate to sql express
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:20:17 pm »
I set up SambaPOS for a friend that needed a low cost POS system for a tavern. The system was working great for the first 2 months but has recently has started to exhibit some problems. When the employees end their work periods the system freezes and they have to reboot to continue. And it takes 5 minutes or so to get their work period reports to show up before they can print the report. The system is a single terminal consisting of a Dell Optiplex with 3gH processor, 2 gigs of memory, cash drawer, printer and touch screen. The database is the CE which expands by around 2,500k a month and is a little over 10,000k at this point.

I have been trying to migrate the database to SQL Express using ExportSqlCE40 I get 2 migrate files, migrate_0 and migrate_1. The instructions seem to indicate that only 1 migrate file should be created.

So two questions;
Is the CE database growing too fast too quickly?
Should I be getting 2 migrate files when using ExportSqlCE40?

lemmings

Re: Migrate to sql express
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:39:27 pm »
Hello

I have done the very same thing as my system was slowing down using sql ce. It runs a lot better on SQL server and start-up is much faster. Reports are also generated quicker too.

You should only get one file migrate.sql when you running the export script.

morcrag

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:04:59 pm »
Thanks for your response.

I have run the ExportSqlCE40 several times according to the instructions and get the same results. How did you type your cmd line?

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:29:45 pm »

morcrag

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »
To the letter.

I'm thinking that there may be some corrupt data. I've tried locating a compact and repair tool for a CE database but they don't seem to exist.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
You can try with this tool. It seems they've implemented a migrate command.
It also have maintenance tools.

http://sqlcetoolbox.codeplex.com/

morcrag

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:37:55 pm »
The migration still gave me 2 migrate files. I had to execute both files to get my all my information into the database. The database was corrupted ans I had to go in and edit the data. for some reason the original sample data showed up in the database although I did not start the sdf file with the sample data. I have a working model up and running on a test machine and will attempt the conversion on the actual system tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestions.