Author Topic: Newbee: 17 Questions  (Read 7653 times)

DQ

Newbee: 17 Questions
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:11 pm »
Hello,
  First of all,  thanks for great job. It's amazingly customizable. Below are my 17 questions.

1. In client-server mode, does the client terminal cache the product/price data so lookup over network is not required?

2. In network setup, does POS needs to be running on the server ?

3. Any documentation on cash drawer pull out when cash/voucher paid?

4. What  is Samba.Messaging.Server.exe and Samba.Presentation.Terminal.exe? How to configure them?

5. How to configure a training database where new employees can learn?

6. How to accept coupons? E.g $1 off the Chocolate Sundae. Also how to print it on the ticket receipt?

7.  How can I show buttons for required and optional topping/items which goes with main dish? Required topping would be selected by default.

e.g When Chocolate Sundae is select, it should display button with required topping as Chocolate  but also display buttons for other related topping e.g Strawberry, sprinkle which can be added/removed by selecting/unselecting.

8. How can multiple employees login and share same terminal in same shift?

9. Does SambaPOS allow to clock-in and clock-out so time keeping?

10. There are some buttons are grayed out based on permission. Is it possible not to display those?

11. I am planning to run this on Windows XP or Xp Embedded with 256 MB RAM/1 GHz Processor. Do you think that should be sufficient memory/CPU?

12. Is it possible to use Kitchen Display System (Video Monitor/Logic Switch/Bump-Bar) instead of kitchen printer? 
See http://www.logiccontrols.com/web/Documents/Bematech_KDS_Dec2011.pdf for more information on KDS.

13. When I print ticket (For now on PDF printer on PC), the item description and price are not aligned. e.g
I use  Line template as <J00>- {QUANTITY} {NAME}| {PRICE}
It prints as below
- 1 Egg, Bacon Cheese 3.99
- 1 Bacon and Tomato 3.49
- 1 Large Drinks 2.25

Can I print where price column is align? E.g See the space between item and price is based on column width.

- 1 Egg, Bacon Cheese   3.99
- 1 Bacon and Tomato    3.49
- 1 Large Drinks        2.25

14. When partial payment is made using Voucher and cash, it is not printed on the receipt correctly. e.g  See below ticket where I first paid $2 using Voucher and $11.23 using Cash. It doesn't show the cash amount.
==========================================
My Company
1/24/2013:11:07 PM
- 1 Large Drinks 2.25
- 1 Soft Drink 1.00
- 1 Toasted Bagel Jam 1.50
- 1 Caesar 4.99
Total: 13.23
Tendered $2
Change Due $0.00
Paid: 13.23
Grand TOTAL: 0.00

15.  On POS, how can I remove Find Product/Find Ticket/Find Table buttons as well as 0-9,x  buttons. which are location on right-bottom corner of POS screen.

16. For each category, we have 3-4 different sizes. e.g Mini, Small, Regular and Large or Small, Regular and Large.
How can I display these buttons as soon as item is selected? E.g When some one ask for Chocolate Sundae, default size would be regular but these three button would allow to make quick change and thus price update based on size.

17. How can we have product category and item category and sub category? Also size should be associated with Item Category.
Category: Deserts
Item Category: Sundae, Size: Small and Medium
Item Sub Category: Caramel Sundae, Chocolate Sundae

Category: Beverage
Item Category: Juice ,  Size: Small, Medium, Large
Item Sub Category: Mango Juice, Orange Juice etc.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:35:23 am by rinku24 »

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: Newbee: 17 Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:40:43 pm »
Hello,
  First of all,  thanks for great job. It's amazingly customizable. Below are my 17 questions.

1. In client-server mode, does the client terminal cache the product/price data so lookup over network is not required?

We cache whole menu.
If you tell me why you are asking this I can give better answer.

2. In network setup, does POS needs to be running on the server ?

No. Running database server and the message server would be ok.
3. Any documentation on cash drawer pull out when cash/voucher paid?

Can't understand this. Do you mean opening cash drawer? If so there is a sticky reference topic on support board that gives details about that.

4. What  is Samba.Messaging.Server.exe and Samba.Presentation.Terminal.exe? How to configure them?

Messaging Server is useful for refreshing terminal table views while opening / closing tickets.
Terminal Client is a small client app for 3.5" handheld terminals that can connect server with RDP.

You can find lot's of information about them with forum search.

5. How to configure a training database where new employees can learn?

http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,184.0.html
6. How to accept coupons? E.g $1 off the Chocolate Sundae. Also how to print it on the ticket receipt?
Not implemented yet.
7.  How can I show buttons for required and optional topping/items which goes with main dish? Required topping would be selected by default.

e.g When Chocolate Sundae is select, it should display button with required topping as Chocolate  but also display buttons for other related topping e.g Strawberry, sprinkle which can be added/removed by selecting/unselecting.
http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,679.0.html

8. How can multiple employees login and share same terminal in same shift?

You can enable auto logout on terminal settings. When enabled closing ticket screen will logout user and display login screen.

9. Does SambaPOS allow to clock-in and clock-out so time keeping?

Not yet.

10. There are some buttons are grayed out based on permission. Is it possible not to display those?

That was a design decision to keep buttons where they are for everyone. On further versions we may create more options to hide them. 

11. I am planning to run this on Windows XP or Xp Embedded with 256 MB RAM/1 GHz Processor. Do you think that should be sufficient memory/CPU?

These days cellphones has better hardware :)
I've tested SambaPOS with 1ghz Atom CPU + 1GB ram XP computer. Performance is not awesome but pretty usable.

12. Is it possible to use Kitchen Display System (Video Monitor/Logic Switch/Bump-Bar) instead of kitchen printer? 
See http://www.logiccontrols.com/web/Documents/Bematech_KDS_Dec2011.pdf for more information on KDS.

Not yet.

13. When I print ticket (For now on PDF printer on PC), the item description and price are not aligned. e.g
I use  Line template as <J00>- {QUANTITY} {NAME}| {PRICE}
It prints as below
- 1 Egg, Bacon Cheese 3.99
- 1 Large Drinks 2.25

Can I print where price column is align? E.g See the space between item and price is based on column width.

- 1 Egg, Bacon Cheese   3.99
- 1 Bacon and Tomato    3.49
- 1 Large Drinks        2.25

I can't guess the reason that alignment problem but it should work fine.
http://www.sambapos.org/docs/doku.php/en/tips/sample_ticket_printer_template

14. When partial payment is made using Voucher and cash, it is not printed on the receipt correctly. e.g  See below ticket where I first paid $2 using Voucher and $11.23 using Cash. It doesn't show the cash amount.
My Company
1/24/2013:11:07 PM
- 1 Large Drinks 2.25
- 1 Soft Drink 1.00
- 1 Toasted Bagel Jam 1.50
- 1 Caesar 4.99
Total: 13.23
Tendered $2
Change Due $0.00
Paid: 13.23
Grand TOTAL: 0.00

It implemented for V3 version.

15.  On POS, how can I remove Find Product/Find Ticket/Find Table buttons as well as 0-9,x  buttons. which are location on right-bottom corner of POS screen.

You can change numerator type to "small" or "none" from menu category settings.

16. For each category, we have 3-4 different sizes. e.g Mini, Small, Regular and Large or Small, Regular and Large.
How can I display these buttons as soon as item is selected? E.g When some one ask for Chocolate Sundae, default size would be regular but these three button would allow to make quick change and thus price update based on size.

http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,917.0.html

17. How can we have product category and item category and sub category? Also size should be associated with Item Category.
Category: Deserts
Item Category: Sundae, Size: Small and Medium
Item Sub Category: Caramel Sundae, Chocolate Sundae

Category: Beverage
Item Category: Juice ,  Size: Small, Medium, Large
Item Sub Category: Mango Juice, Orange Juice etc.

http://www.sambapos.org/docs/doku.php/en/guide/submenus

If you search forums you'll find more information for some of your questions.

Thanks.

DQ

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:31:54 pm »
Thanks a lot. 

One thing I noticed is that V2(299c) is much faster than V3 alpha. Both are using local SQL CE file.

ericrevollo

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 11:37:46 pm »

I'm currently using it with WINXP at 1,6GHz processor and 512 RAM and it runs well only thing it takes a little to load but that's normal I guess.

DQ

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:44:47 pm »
Thanks ericrevollo. 
I did check on my old laptop. It doesn't consume much CPU but I see memory is increasing every transaction and that could be due to SQL Compact Database which is loaded in memory.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 04:11:33 pm »
Memory increasing that you see on task manager is normal for .net applications. It seems it consumes on every transaction but it will free unused memory periodically.

DQ

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:14:08 pm »
Thanks!!