Author Topic: Change price button  (Read 8660 times)

rvandam

Change price button
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:06:05 am »
Is the "change price" button only available for the administrator? I tried to find a way to enable it for a non admin user, but didn't succeed. Even went trough the database but there is no separate permission for this option.

There is a little security risk in enabling this button, but altering the price is also possible in other ways, for example typing 0,1 "product"

The change price button works very well when changing a price of multiple products, therefore a way to enable this button would be great :)

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: Change price button
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:50:30 pm »
Sorry. It is only available for administrators. Do you use it for pricing misc products?

rvandam

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:46:26 am »
We use it for several products. Indeed for misc., but also for example when somebody gives a party with a buffet. It is impossible to put every scenario in the pos, because the price varies on the demand of the customer.

We also have some skittles lanes (a kind of 9 pin bowling). On tournaments the prices are per person. Others pay per hour. Clubs have also other prices etc. etc.

And we have a little shop for which I would like to have only one button.

Is it possible to get a custom build of Sambapos with some enhancements for our specific situation? If yes I will send you an im with my details.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:51:38 am »
Hello rvandam. These days I write more forum posts than I write code. Because I don't want our project seems like we have a terrible support and nobody answers questions or fulfill requests. However after some point I have no choice other than rejecting some requests. V3 is what everybody needs and I have to finish that to fulfill a lot of requests at once. Everything other than V3 coding postpones that.

I recommend every members to be more active on forums, collaborate with other members and spread the word to attract more attention to the project. Like every community projects people attention is essential to overcome personal limits.

But there is one more thing. A technology revolution in food business is very near and who can use technology to automate and optimize the business will have great advantage on competition. In the past automation was something we setup once and forget. These days things changes fast. Everyday new startups offers great solutions to the market for better customer reach. To be able to adapt our business to these changes we need an open, flexible and agile software infrastructure. Like SambaPOS...

The future of SambaPOS bright and with your help we can build the best restaurant automation in the world. V2 was the proof of the concept and V3 will bring it to life. Why don't you be a part of it?

Thanks.

rvandam

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 11:49:19 am »
@emre I have counted my forum posts, and I realize now that I took lots of your time. I really appreciate the help I got from you and other users. I strongly believe in Sambapos and its future.

When I asked for the custom build I didn't expected it to be for free. We have some small issues for our specific situation, and I am really happy to pay for custom work, and contribute this way for the project (or could you recommend another coder who is familiar with Sambapos?).

I cannot wait to start with v3 and be part of it, but I have read the disclaimer that it is still in alpha state, so I guess it is not suitable yet to use in production. I will try out v3 as soon as our current system is settled, and watch it closely.

I also will watch the forum more for questions I can answer with my experience from last month.

....and, how can I help? If I can contribute on the wiki, or forum in a specific way, please let me know.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:01:58 pm »
Hello rvandam. There is really no problem with taking my time. That's why I'm here. I'm only trying to use my time effectively. (solving most problems with less effort)

While writing this I was aware of you have no problem with paying for customization services. But this is not the issue. During V2 development I've implemented maybe a hundred V2 feature requests and that made SambaPOS a useful tool for everyone. But I've stopped V2 development. I code no new features for V2 other than critical bug fixes. Why I stopped that?

New features means new issues to care about. While adding new features a software never becomes stable. You need to stop it at some point and start developing a new version. This is the only reason. Having a stable release that can be used on production environments and having a development release to implement new features. At this point getting payments does no change.

During may-july 2012 period I tried developing both V2 and V3 versions together because of the high demand but I couldn't handle that. I know we lost a lot of valuable members because of that but If I didn't do so there won't be a V3 release and there won't be a V2 release we could call stable. Trust my software development experience. What we are doing is the best choice for making something useful.

At the beginning of the project I thought we'll attract some attention like other successful open source projects but I was wrong. For a reason restaurant owners does not spread the word so our community looks like a 1 developer and 2-3 active user :) That's why you can't find someone to code your needs or answer your questions. Developers or other solution providers won't care us if they don't know how much potential we have. What I learned is things won't happen by itself and I need to care about things other than coding. I'll attend to meetings, contact with people and tell everyone what we are doing ...

I plan to release first V3 beta in mid February. I think V3 beta will increase community activity and we'll quickly find bugs, implement new features and make V3 a great product. I hope it will attract more attention too.

Also.. Thank you very much for your support offer. Your first SambaPOS experience will give the idea about our needs.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:22:17 pm by emre »

rvandam

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:08:03 am »
Emre, thank you for the insight. I do respect your choices, and now I fully understand why you have taken them.

Now that I know that V3 is not so far away, I will reconsider some feature request from our staff members (they keep coming :) ). When V3 beta is released I will install it next to V2 and see if it is stable enough to deploy.

This weekend I was able to modify the source code, and the change price button is now available for all users at our pos. I have no C# experience (only a bit Python) so it was more hacking then real programming.

If our system is fully settled (either V2 or V3) I will make some noise about Sambapos. I have no problems that my colleagues know about this well hidden piece of excellent software.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:17 pm »
Great! I'm glad to hear you solved it :) Now you have more control on your system and that's the idea behind open source...

rvandam

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:01:28 am »
The power of open source is addictive :)

oiqbal

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »
Hi rvandam,

As good as the support team of SambaPOS team is and the software it self is very functional and empowering we are using to manage our multiple chain of cafes with this software.

I understand and agree that minor modifications are required on a need to need basis which is where we've had done some modifications to the application to cater to our needs. Coming from a software development background it was easy for me to get those changes done by hiring some developers.

If you are interested maybe we can offer you the changes you need, you can share your list of changes required and maybe we can review and see if they are doable.

You can reach me at my email address oiqbal@visualsparks.com. Thanks.