Author Topic: Help - printer problem?  (Read 8700 times)

stubby

Help - printer problem?
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:32:48 am »
OK... I had a friend of mine (who is much more knowledgable of databases and whatnot than I am) install Samba and configure everything for me. At the time he handed the computer off to me, my receipt printer was printing fine based on the sample menu items that are included with the base installation.

So... I went ahead, added my entire menu into it. Modified the receipt templates to meet my needs. Get ready to start testing, and...

Get the following error message:

"There is a problem while printing. Please review printer and printer template settings.
Error message:
Non-negative number required.
Parameter name: totalWidth"

I've looked everywhere I can think of to see if I can find a parameter named totalWidth that might have a setting I need to change. I can't find it. I can't even find a set of printer parameters anywhere within Samba that I can find.

I cannot figure this out and I'm tearing my hair out. I open on Friday and can't even run tests to see if this will work.

Someone please help.

Stubby

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
Re: Help - printer problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:56 am »
Hi,

What are you trying to print? Ticket, Invoice or Kitchen order?
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.
Even in Namibia, Africa!

stubby

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:47:32 am »
Don't really know - I'm just clicking the "Print Bill" button on the POS screen. I also tried to cash out the order (since both a Ticket and a Kitchen order are set to print at cash out) and got the error that time, too.

I do NOT get the error when I set it to demo and print to Notepad, I only get it when trying to print to the actual printer.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:38:35 am »
Hello stubby. Can you post screen shots of these two screens with all visible settings?

1. "Manage > Printers > Ticket Printer" screen.
2. "Manage > Printer Templates > Ticket Template" screen.

If you can't you can try pasting all template values here.

stubby

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:08:09 am »
OK, I've attached three screen shots (so you can see all the settings, I took two screen shots of the Ticket Template screen so you could see the whole column).

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:59:01 am »
Hello stubby.. Thank you for screen shots.
Why did you decreased "Line Character Count" to 32 on first screen shot ? Does your printer prints 32 chars wide? If you didn't changed it intentionally default value should be 42.

For example
"Thank you for dining at Stubby'sl "
line exceeds 32 chars.
We try to fit product names but these fixed lines migth be the reason of the problem.

Update: I've checked your printer specs. It looks like it supports both 32 (font a), 42 (font b) chars printing. Alternatively you can try switching it to Font B and change 32 with 42.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:11:27 pm by emre »

stubby

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:40 am »
FYI - we finally found the problem, and it had nothing to do with Samba. Apparently, I had two devices (the printer and a router) with two identical power supplies, except one was 12v and the other was 24v. I had the wrong one plugged into the printer and, because the printer had lights and power I couldn't tell, but with the wrong voltage it couldn't print.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:44:21 pm »
Hmm, really hard to figure out what is going on :)

indypctech

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 01:32:19 am »
to anyone that has this problem its because your restaurant name on the template header is to long this will generate this error