Author Topic: Change Price button  (Read 9528 times)

jenem

Change Price button
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:35:09 am »
Hi Emre

If you want to change item price you have to type price them select item the select change price.

Having tried SambaPos on a few people, their natural instinct is to;

Select Item,
Select Change Price
You then get an error message saying to type in amount first

Rather than

Type wanted price in window
Select Item
Change Price

Should the logic be
1 Select Item which then allows access to the change price button
2 Press Change Price Button
3 Bring up a entry box where you can type in new price and predefined reason for price change then press a return button
4 New Price entry box clears
5 Item price is updated with new price and reason for price change.
Just an idea :)

Edgar

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: Change Price button
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:17:11 am »
You are totally right about the natural thinking.
I think the real problem is the location of the "Change Price" button.
If we put it next to numerator like "Find Ticket" button, users will behave different.
I think we should avoid popup value entry boxes everywhere.

On the other hand I implemented this feature for a "fish shop". It is useful if the exact price of the item not known while receiving the order.

For changing prices we may consider using other price changing options.

jenem

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:51:06 am »
Hi Emre,

Could you have the same logic as change modifier button?

Select Item,
Select change price
Brings up screen similer to
Modifer - Price

You could Have Price - Reason
This would be stored with ticket so you could see in reports why the price was changed so that staff would have to account for price change selection.

Edgar

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:36:52 am »
Hmm.. I was thinking the same thing for discounts. (Discount reasons)
I think we are about to invent a new abstract pattern for SambaPOS ... What is that :)

Edit:
What do I mean by abstract pattern?
For example people requested tracking waiters, people count, tips, order sources, etc... inside a ticket. So instead of implementing a new feature for each request we discovered the pattern and implemented an abstract feature called Ticket Tags. With V3 we'll do the same for payments, accounts, tables (locations), modifiers, etc..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:43:09 am by emre »

jenem

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:22:23 pm »
Hi Emre,

Of course you are right. This is what makes your concept refreshing. I realise we make lots of requests and it may divert you from your important work, So I hope you take suggestions/comments in the positive intention they are suggested.

If I can be of any help to you please let me know.

Edgar

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:20:24 pm »
Sorry.. I just wanted to say we need to think about it some more because we might discover a new pattern. Requests and recommendations are the main source of the SambaPOS features so they are very important for me. I need to hear all of them with every possible details but we might not solve the need as requested. That was my intention.

Note: English is not my native language, for this reason my comments might feel formal or annoyed :) I'm happy with every positive, negative comments, requests and even complaints. I hope you can help me on creating a better communication..

Watch this
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150489703844541&set=vb.170207913041764&type=2&theater
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:22:14 pm by emre »

jenem

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:00:11 am »
Hi Emre,

Yes I know your first language is Turkish and I find your English very good. Better than my Turkish which is zero.
I write British English which is different from American English.
The problem with written text is there is no body language or sound to give clues to what is being said.

Maybe it would be better to have a kind of voting system where improvement requests are ranked by the amount of votes that are given.

I think some of the requests are already possible through the use of rules/actions.
The problem is how do rules/actions work?
Do rules have If Then properties?
Are rules operate in a linear way (First,Next,Next,End)
Actions
What are system variables are available for use similar to Changedue, Total
How are user variables created/ used?

The more I explore SambaPos the more I see possibilities.

I will start new topics for some other questions I have.

Edgar

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:26 am »
Hi Edgar.. For a different use of system variables you can check http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,97.msg671.html#msg671 topic. Thanks.

jenem

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:50:30 am »
Hi Emre,

Just replied on other topic

Edgar

exidon

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 09:14:46 am »
Sorry, if that has been asked elsewhere and I just could not find it, but is there any chance to disable Change Price Button? I suppose in many cases only Restaurant Manager should decide about prices (Actually I think it should be more general case than having a fish restaurant, what I understood as the reason for change-price-button to be introduced.  In case of fish restaurant itcompletely makes sense to me, but already in similar scenarios where you sell products dependent on weight, for example, it would be better solution to connect a weight to pos-system, to get price by that).  I also agree with emres view of general pattern, I for example was playing howto best configure pizzas, and it appears little more intuitiv to me, showing an add extra ingredient button, where we now have stuff like, void, gift, change price...

exidon

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:22:26 am »
Hi Emre,

Just replied on other topic

Edgar

I just hope, this forum will replaced as soon as possible by a wiki-like discussion board following exactly the same structure, program comes with, sometimes I feel programm is easier to use then this forum ;-)  I guess that doc domain already goes into that direcction, let me know, if I can help anyhow to facilitate a good migration.  Google Sites, could also be a good solution for that, since it combines well a tipical wiki functionality, with threaded public comments and notifcation/tracking functionality, anyhow, probably it is not best idea, to rely within open-source project on closed source provider.