Author Topic: .sdf file convert to SQL 2005 database  (Read 7688 times)

Anesthetic

.sdf file convert to SQL 2005 database
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »
Greetings to this great community and most of all thank the developers of this GREAT and EXCELLENT POS

The problem I got today is that I've designed the whole menu and restaurant on my computer and tested it. Now I need to export the .SDF file created by sambaPOS to my SQL server, the problem is that I don't know how to transfer all my settings into my SQL database. I don't want to redesign every configuration again as it took my quite a lot of time. Anybody know how?

Thanks!

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
Re: .sdf file convert to SQL 2005 database
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:21:33 pm »
Yes I know. John's great training mode script includes a command line tool for generating sql script from SDF files.

For example ExportSqlCE40.exe "Data Source=c:\test.sdf" migrate.sql command generates migrate.sql file from c:\test.sdf database. You can run this generated script on SQL server for creating entire database with data.

You can find ExportSQLCE40.exe app under \SambaPOS\Training directory or download from here: http://exportsqlce.codeplex.com/releases/view/80551
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:24:39 pm by emre »

Anesthetic

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:43:48 pm »
Woah LOTS of thanks my friend I was already worried I had to re-do all tables again!

Maybe we should add around the FAQ or documentation page about this and I would be honored to be able to do it. So if you guys need someone to write a tutorial or documentation I'll be glad to help! Especially this part since almost no one knows about it.

mozhi

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:32 am »

How do we transfer the settings on sql server on one machine onto sql server on another machine?
Are there any tools to view and edit the tables in sql server? as i would like to run the scrits to remove the transaction data.

John, has mentioned that we need to transfer 2 files in one of the threads, but which are those files. and what are the other changes that are expected to be done after transferring the files in case the instance names are different on different machines

Think if this is explained in detail everybody on the forum can be benefited.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:23 pm »
If you are familiar to Wiki syntax you can create documentation about any topic under doc.sambapos.org.

Anesthetic

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:57:12 am »
Mozhi,

to transfer from sql server to sql server, you just need to create a backup of the database from one, then on your new sql server create the database SambaData2 and restore the file you just backed up earlier on it

As for table modifications, open up the database by clicking the + sign next to the database name, search for Tables and click + sign next to it, you'll notice all the tables being listed there. To modify them, right click on any table and search for the option to open up the table.

Instance name doesn't affect the backup files when you restore them, so no additional changes or settings are needed.

Hope I helped,
Anesthetic.