Author Topic: category tags order  (Read 8906 times)

maozen

category tags order
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:12:18 pm »
I'm trying to implement my wine list that is quite big aprroximatively 160 reference between red white sweet and sparkling, so i need to keep it well ordered otherwhise wil be a mess order a wine!!

I'm thinking to divide it in 4 main categories RED,WHITE,SWEET,SPARKLING
each categories will have some tags representing the various region/contry of the wine.
I would like to have all the tags orderd possibly in alfabetical but could be good also a system like the one used in the menu definition.

I've tryied playing around but i havent found a solution.... is this possible?
Could be possible even have the tags button of a different color from the category button ?

Many Thanks
MAO

maozen

Re: category tags order
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:20:19 pm »
I spend the day preparing the database for live test but i realized that categories scroll over the screen, and using the scroll bar on touch screen computer is not esay.

The biggest problem for me it's that i've many category of products so i would like to group it, but if i group it i need to use tags and in some categories EG WINES i've somtehing like 13 different tags.

At this point the problem is that buttons became very small and asolutely unreadable.....

I've tryed using the column count in the category product but seems that this settings is valid only for product button.

At the end the question is if is possible to have tags on more than one line otherwhise if you have more than 3 or 4 tags the buttons and specially the text are really small.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:03:01 pm »
I spend the day preparing the database for live test but i realized that categories scroll over the screen, and using the scroll bar on touch screen computer is not esay.

The biggest problem for me it's that i've many category of products so i would like to group it, but if i group it i need to use tags and in some categories EG WINES i've somtehing like 13 different tags.

At this point the problem is that buttons became very small and asolutely unreadable.....

I've tryed using the column count in the category product but seems that this settings is valid only for product button.

At the end the question is if is possible to have tags on more than one line otherwhise if you have more than 3 or 4 tags the buttons and specially the text are really small.

It is always fun after you set things up to realise its TOO big.

Why 13 tags for Wines? We just use White, Red, Sparkling & Dessert for around 60 different lines. All barcodes are entered to speed up sales.
There is no column count for Tags (Sub Categories).

Don't forget you can change the height of the Category Buttons too, to fit more on the screen.
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

maozen

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:56:35 am »
 :) really!!! i was ready.... buttons... colors... headers.... then i went to the POS screen..... :'(

Anyway....

I'm not using Barcode reader, for wines in italy we are used to divide it by region, so it's easyer to find it. Actually i've somtehing like 160 reference between Red (68) White (79) Sparkling (10) Dessert (10). Noboby in my staff will be able to find out a wine (in a reasonable time) if i put 79 white wines in the same category.....

Even my restaurant menus is quite big....

I  have two main menu in my restaurant, the first menu is the YAKINIKU (our speciality, a kind of japanese kitchen where guest grill themself the food on the table, we have smokeless tables imported directly from Japan) that is dived in four sub menu MEAT, FISH, VEGETABLES, SET MENU and this is not a problem. With four categories it's ok.

The problem is the second menu, the FUSION menu, where i have 9 different categories of dishes

TEMPURA
YAKI GOHAN - SAUTED RICE
UDON (Japanse pasta)
SOBA (Another kind of japanese pasta)
SOUP
VEGETABLES
TEPPANYAKI (Another kind of japanese kitchen)
SUSHI & SASHIMI
DESSERTS

With a total of 50 different dishes.

In addition to the restaurant menu i've the bar menu, where should need the following categories

RUM (12 references, with different services)
WHISKY (15 references)
SPIRITS (18 references)
BEER (30 references, with different sizes)
GRAPPA/AMARO (25 References)
WATER & SOFT DRINKS (15 References)
TEA (20 references, with different services)
SOFT DRINK (15 references)

So i need a lot of categories..... and sub categories.....

I can  try to group some category.... but they are still a lot....
I don't know how i can do.... i will try to find a logical way to reduce category without having a lot of items in each category, but having a column count working for tags should be really great!!!

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:30:47 pm »
If you didn't noticed it before you can use unlimited number of sub categories of sub categories by merging tags with comma. For example you can tag an items under main "Drinks" category as :
Alcohols,Wines,Red
Alcohols,Wines,White
Alcohols,Wines,Sparkling
Alcohols,Rums
Alcohols,Whiskey
Hot Drinks
Soft Drinks
etc...

maozen

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:34:12 am »
If you didn't noticed it before you can use unlimited number of sub categories of sub categories by merging tags with comma. For example you can tag an items under main "Drinks" category as :
Alcohols,Wines,Red
Alcohols,Wines,White
Alcohols,Wines,Sparkling
Alcohols,Rums
Alcohols,Whiskey
Hot Drinks
Soft Drinks
etc...

Yes i saw it.
My problem is not the number of subcategories that you can have, but how the sub category button are shown on the screen, they are displayed in one line, so if you have more than 4 or 5 subcategories the buttons became very small.

With a row count working like for the product button, if you have many subcategories like for wine list they will be displayed better nothing else.

For example you can tag an items under main "Drinks" category as :
Alcohols,Wines,Red
Alcohols,Wines,White

I can directly start from RED or WINE category and after that i need just one level more,but in each of this categories i should have around 13 subcategories of the same level.

For me the problem is not how many nested subcatergories i can have, but how they are displayed on the screen when you have many of them at the same level.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:29:58 pm »
Use a Barcode Scanner :), thats what we did, and it is so much easier, and a lot faster.

You can also search for items too by using the keyboard (onscreen or physical) and typing the name of the item, maybe that will help.
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.