Author Topic: migrate sql experss to sql compact  (Read 5423 times)

spanky

migrate sql experss to sql compact
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:18:29 pm »
What are the differences between sql compact  and sql experss? I have seen a higher speed with compact sql. You can migrate data from sql express to sql compact?Thanks

JohnS

• Global Moderator
Re: migrate sql experss to sql compact
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:43:11 pm »
Have a look here http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,386.0.html for some info.
Also here http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,244.0.html

A simple way to migrate from SQL Express to Compact SQL is to use the SambaPOS Training Mode http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,184.0.html. This will create a Compact SQL file called SambaTrain.sdf in the same location as your SambaSettings.txt file. Rename the file to SambaData2.sdf (for simplicity) and change the data connection string in SambaPOS to point to this file.
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

spanky

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:48:20 am »
What I know is if there is any problem with QSL compact istability or loss of data compared to sql express.

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:36:30 am »
Compact SQL is designed for single terminal, standalone system. It is high speed due to the lack of data redundancy and networking capabilities that SQL Express has.
So, yes, it is fine for a single terminal and it is stable. I have not had any issues with loss of data.

spanky

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:23 am »
perfect! thanks Johns

spanky

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:46:47 am »
One last question, if I install sql compact in rdp can not connect as the second user via iPad?

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 04:59:52 pm »
Compact SQL = 1 user only

spanky

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »
I tried and it works with multiple users. I will say that problems of instability?

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:21:33 pm »
I tried and it works with multiple users. I will say that problems of instability?
As I have stated in my posts, Compact SQL may work under Terminal Services as you are running instanaces of SambaPOS, so it see it as the local machine, and not a networked computer.

Even if it works, Compact SQL is designed only to run on a single computer and only for a single user. Using it on a Terminal Server may be unstable. Microsoft have not documented Compact SQL very well, and they have also not added sufficent protection to stop you from using it outside of its designed purpose.

Summary - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK in a multiuser environment.