Author Topic: Re-open a closed/cashed ticket  (Read 10760 times)

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
Re-open a closed/cashed ticket
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:28:56 am »
Ok, first issue caused by my staff, hehehe

How do you re-open a closed ticket/invoice?

In this case the cashier select Cash instead of Credit card when cashing off? So can I re-open it and cash it off correctly?

Thanks
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.
Even in Namibia, Africa!

JohnS

• Global Moderator
Re: Re-open a closed/cashed ticket
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:40:46 am »
Once a ticket is settled, it can not be modified - this is due to security reasons and to prevent fraud.

What I tell staff is,
- Run the sale again, this time correctly.
- Print out the incorrect ticket using Find Ticket Button.
- Write VOID on it, sign it and put it in the cash drawer.
- Adjust sales figures at end of night reconciling with the VOID tickets.

Refunds can be delt with in the same manner.

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:55:04 am »
I understand the security risk, but that is why only certain users should get access to do stuff like that.

Thanks anyway John....
Even in Namibia, Africa!

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:05:10 am »
This has been discussed before, and I understand where you are coming from. The subject was touched unpon here - http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,91.0.html

I agree with Emre, that the negatives around the ability of reversing the mistakes outweights the positives, atleast with V2.

As per my last post, most managers seem happy with that scenario as less chance the staff can stuff up by editing settled tickets and making a bigger mess.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:58:19 am »
Hello,
- Other than security the biggest issue on altering past financial data is making additional errors while correcting errors. If somebody changes cash to credit card on "ticket b" instead of "ticket a" that creates additional problems. For example if you don't store printed tickets elsewhere you won't be able to find the error. I don't know why but when we permit corrections that matching need happens everyday...
- If you permit error corrections you should give your admin pin so they'll be able to correct their errors when you leave for a reason. Believe me when you do that the most shared information between staff becomes the admin pin :)

Like I stated on the post John referenced we can make payment corrections or refunds through Cash. For making it easier we can implement a correction workflow similar to John's suggestion but we'll never permit altering past financial data.

Now I remembered a little trick. There is a "Only for Old Tickets" setting on print jobs. When you duplicate a bill print job, include it in mapping and mark it as "Only for Old Tickets"... SambaPOS will use that print job when printing paid tickets. It might be useful for adding big "REPRINTED FOR YOUR INFO, DO NOT PAY" title on old ticket reprints.

CafeCuppio

• Cafe Cuppio
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:50 am »
Hi

I understand your reasoning behind and I am not in disagreement.... This was just a function I saw with most commercial POS systems and was just asking if it was possible in this one too. Was not asking to change items on the ticket, just wanted to fix the payment method ;)

I will just be fun to hunt down these errors if the cashier did not realize that the mistake was make, lol

PS: I do not like using the pin, awaiting the fingerprint scanner function ;)
Even in Namibia, Africa!

oda

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:00 pm »
I was just thinking regarding the fingerprint scanner! Well, I know we have a bar scanner built in already,but I haven't use it yet since there is no need for me to use it. Is it possible to implemented to login using the bar scanner? I know some office use a bar code id printed on their name card to login and to enter the office building. Well, just an alternative idea that I think would be cheaper than to buy fingerprint scanner.
Just my 2 cent!

Sincerely,
Leon.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:42:50 pm »
If you print user pin code on a card as a barcode you can use barcode scanner based card readers. Any scanner that sends user pin code as keyboard strokes will work on login screen. If we can configure a fingerprint scanner (or other scanners) to send my pin code when it reads my fingerprint, I can login both using that scanner or typing my pincode.

chrismint

• Business Group
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:11 am »
What should the workflow be if someone accidently cashes off a bill?

Am I correct that the staff would have to re-enter all the info, and then a manager would have to void off all the items?  Otherwise the sales figures will be incorrect when looking at reports for stock.

edit: I understand this is going to be something in V3?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:17:07 am by chrismint »

EricAllen

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 07:56:18 pm »
I would tend to agree with JohnS and Emre until you started actually processing credit cards through Samba. Then you'd want a way to just void the charge as opposed refunding. My reasoning is while JohnS and Emre's way is more secure it would create unnecessary activity on the credit card.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:10:11 pm by EricAllen »