Author Topic: Modifer Group Order  (Read 3754 times)

QMcKay

• Sip some Coffee or Wine at JavaVine!
    • JavaVine Cafe & Wine Bar
Modifer Group Order
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »
Is there a way to sort/order the modifier groups?  For example, I have an order for a Bagel, and the Modifier groups could be:
Bagel Type (mandatory)
Spread (optional)
Veggies (optional)

This is the order they should be listed in the POS; instead, the order of the modifier groups seems to be random.

I've tried removing them, and adding them back in with the correct order, but it makes no difference, i.e.:
Spread (optional)
Bagel Type (mandatory)
Veggies (optional)

This isn't intuitive.

Love the POS and will be using it by the end of the month.  First post, since searching revealed no results on Modifier ordering.

Thanks,
Q
SambaPOS3 since 2013-10
SambaPOS 3.0.31
SQL Express 2008 R2 x64
Windows 7 SP1 x64

QMcKay

Re: Modifer Group Order
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:06:11 pm »
I've even gone so far as to make edits directly to the database, on table [SambaData2].[dbo].[MenuItemPropertyGroups].  There is an [Order] column in this table that I have modified, but it doesn't seem to alter the display order of the modifiers in the POS screen.
SambaPOS3 since 2013-10
SambaPOS 3.0.31
SQL Express 2008 R2 x64
Windows 7 SP1 x64

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:40:38 pm »
Hello QTM;
Yes it stores the sort order but there was a problem with many to many relationship design. In fact it shouldn't stored there because when you change the order for a product all product properties sort order will change. So not to confuse users I cancelled that. I thought it was working in the order of first selection for a product but it seems it does not work for you like that.

I solved that problem on V3 release but if I change modifier sorting for V2, it will change for everyone and I don't know if it is a good idea or not since a lot of people uses it in the order it currently appears.

Try removing all modifier groups for a product, save it and add them again in the order you want them to appear. If it does not work we'll try to find another solution.

QMcKay

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 06:04:39 pm »
I tried removing all modifiers from a product, saved it, and added them in the correct order.  It still displays them in the unwanted order.
SambaPOS3 since 2013-10
SambaPOS 3.0.31
SQL Express 2008 R2 x64
Windows 7 SP1 x64

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »
Thank you very much for the screen shot. I can't check code now but that looks like fixable.
At least we can store them in the order you first selected.

QMcKay

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »
FYI (I'm sure you already know), in the Property Groups selection dialog (where the green arrow points), you can drag selected modifiers up/down to re-order them (in the same way you can with ordering Menus and such), but it doesn't "save" or have any effect.

And it doesn't matter which order you put modifiers in... they get scrambled somehow - I'm not sure how the order is being selected (it isn't even alphabetical, which I could live with by using Numbered Modifier Names).  I have a bunch of products with many modifiers entered already, and almost all of them have a messed up sort order.  It might be nice too to have the Modifier selection list ordered at least alphabetically - instead they appear to be ordered based on their creation date/time (probably ID ?)

If the Property Groups selection dialog would save the order somehow, or at the very least honor the [Order] column in the table, or sort alphabetically, I could work with it and be happy.

P.S. As a background, I spent the last 2-3 weeks installing, trying, evaluating 20+ POS programs of all sorts: FREE, almost Free and Extremely expensive.  While some of them can be feature rich, they are almost always cryptic to set up and/or expensive to buy.  While I found SambaPOS a little strange to set up in the beginning (all the programs have a different way of doing things), and there are features I'm still learning to use, I recognize the POWER built-in to SambaPOS (a quick search through the Forum facilitated my Happy Hour set-up in minutes).  The things I liked the most though (in no particular order) are: Price, Usability, Built-in features, Open Source, Actively Developed and Supported, Quick response here in the Forum, NOT Java - instead C#, MSSQL (MySQL would be good too).  I love the Triggers, Rules, Actions approach - Powerfully Ingenious IMHO.
SambaPOS3 since 2013-10
SambaPOS 3.0.31
SQL Express 2008 R2 x64
Windows 7 SP1 x64