Author Topic: Receipts, Split Bills and Payment screen  (Read 10145 times)

lemmings

Receipts, Split Bills and Payment screen
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:57:45 pm »
I having trouble getting SambaPOS to print a receipt twice when a split-bill payment is made.

So I can get my head round it - can someone tell me the purpose of the 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and 1/n buttons down the side in the payment screen. I was on the understanding that these were something to do with split the bill.

If you press 1/2 to split the bill 2 ways, it puts the correct amount in and prints the receipt for the first payment, when I the press ALL to pay the second half I do not get a receipt printed and have tried various combinations.

Am I using the 1/2 etc buttons correctly or should I train staff to split the bill differently so that the system prints one receipt for all payments received.

Thanks
Stephen

harindam

Re: Receipts, Split Bills and Payment screen
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:54 am »
I'm also curious to see how those buttons work. Tried but couldnt get any understandable result yet. I'l update you if I found any.

lemmings

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 05:06:50 am »
I had SambaPOS on a live trial this weekend and the one reoccurent issue is splitting bills and getting some kind of split receipt.

It must be possible but I am having trouble configuring receipts actions and rules. I continued yesterday but have been unable to fix. So would someone be able to assist me with the following example.

Two people dine at same table, order taken, food served, one bill given. Both want to pay half of bill each. Both people want a receipt for the amount they paid individually and how they paid (card or cash)

How do I get two receipts showing amounts paid by splitting as I cannot seem to get it to work properly. I can get a receipt for the whole amount but not a split amount. It will not show credit card as payment method when using [Payment Type] on receipt template.

The receipt does not have to breakdown what food or drink they had cause I can just give them Two copies of the bill.

Any help would be appreciated.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:58:20 am »
Hello lemmings. There is a printer template feature called setting printing. You can store a value in memory with "Update Program Setting" action and print it with {SETTING:XYZ} Tag. For example you can handle "Payment Received" Rule and call "Update Program Setting" action to store payment amount. If you name setting as PYMNTAMNT {SETTING:PYMNTAMNT} tag will print that amount.

Again not the exact example but that page tells how to print "Tendered" and "Payment Due" amounts on receipts. http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,680.0.html

I hope it helps.

lemmings

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:00:36 am »
Thanks Emre I will give it a try later.

So what is the purpose of the 1/2  1/3  1/4 and 1/n buttons

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 04:35:05 am »
It is a shortcut for typing 1/x of the remaining amount. For a $20 ticket typing 10 or pressing 1/2 button does the same thing.

Do you think it should do something different?

lemmings

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:18:51 pm »
Hello Emre

I have spent some time implementing Actions and Rules and can now split bills and print receipts for individual payments made customers.

The trouble I still have is getting an Auto printed receipt, it works but will only Auto print on first split payment and not on any remaining payments.  I was able to get round this by creating an Action and Rule to execute a Print Job each time a payment is received and this works.

I think I will be removing the 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and 1/n buttons as there still does seem to be a logical process when these buttons are pushed and I cannot find either Action, Rule or Trigger which relates to these buttons.

The users seem confused by these buttons when trying to split a bill in four, as you have to push 1/4 first time, then 1/3 next time and finally 1/2 next time to get 4 equal payments.  Splitting individual items on the tickets into new tickets is actually easier but unfortunately if two people just want to split the bill in 2 it works but I think the process could be more logical.

I have never coded in C# but have used VS for VB so I may have a go at implementing something for our purposes which seems more logical - perhaps its a UK thing (splitting bills by 2 or 3 people that it).

Can you just confirm that it is correct for the Auto Print to only work with the first payment only ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 02:05:16 am »
Hello lemmings. On V3 version I totally removed all autoprinting features that configured from printjob screen. It may seem a workaround but the right solution will be using actions. That feature basically implemented for auto printing from fast food screen and cash register integration. We send printout to com port to operate cash registers. Since these features used for many different purposes on splitting case it may not work fine. I hope to implement easier access to payment data from actions on V3.

You are right for some people 1/x buttons are confusing. Some people thinks it should always split total ticket amount. Some people thinks it should split remaining amount. On our first implementation it was splitting ticket amount so multiple clicking to 1/x buttons was generating same value. Now it splits remaining amount so it can be used on half paid tickets.

For easier usage we added a pink button under that column which always shows and updates the last tendered amount. So after splitting ticket amount with 1/x buttons using that button for next payments might be a solution.

Please let me know your progress on modifications. I'd like to know what will work best for you. So I can try to improve it for make it work fine on all cases.