Author Topic: A web interface or Android/iOS app  (Read 17263 times)

polymorpher

A web interface or Android/iOS app
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:06:09 pm »
For medium/large restaurant it would be very convenient if SambaPOS could be integrated with remote handheld device. An easy way to achieve this is to implement a web interface (on ASPX/PHP) or Android/iOS app to provide simple features like adding a ticket, remove a ticket, and editing a ticket. This would significantly improve the overall impression with customers (they will be like "Cool! It's an iPod / Kindle!").

JohnS

• Global Moderator
Re: A web interface or Android/iOS app
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:31:35 am »
There is a terminal app for SambaPOS that can be accessed thru RDP to a system running SambaPOS. You can use this with an iPod Touch, or as I prefer, an iPad which I find even better as you have access to all of the features.
SambaPOS - POS'n the World, one Terminal at a time.

polymorpher

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:27:33 am »
Thanks. It seems there are a lot incomplete work in the terminal version. I can't add ticket or remove items from existing tickets.

The full version doesn't sync information - Say if I create a new ticket in one instance I couldn't see it immediately in another instance unless I refresh the screen (by going somewhere else then return). Is there any workaround? Perhaps we need a server-client model?

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:13:20 am »
The terminal app is designed for quick ticket entry, while it gives you lots of functionality, but its not the full version, hence why I prefer the iPad in most situations. It depends on what you actually want to do.

Make sure you have set the terminal settings within the departments, like what menu to show and which table layout. When you remote in make sure you have set a terminal number for that instance of SambaPOS.

To see instant updates for tables, etc, you need to run the messaging server app on one computers and tell the other terminals to connect to it via Manage -> Local Settings.

Have a look here
http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,167.msg703.html#msg703
http://forum2.sambapos.org/index.php/topic,113.msg764.html#msg764

If you need more clarity, please don't hesitate to ask.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:38:41 am by JohnSCS »

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 05:58:46 am »
As you can see by the pictures, order entry is fairly straight forward.
You can modify items, add and remove quantities (on open tickets), set notes, merge and move tables, and print the bill.
And the tables update as you create tickets and print bills.

Yes, some of the words are in Turkish, and the localization is being updated now that the software is being used more widely across the world.

I hope these pictures help - they are from my iPhone running Pocket Cloud RDP with a resolution of 400x600.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:08:06 am by JohnSCS »

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 06:29:22 am »
The Message Server App (which is in Turkish) is located in C:\Program Files\SambaPOS2\Samba.MessagingServer.exe

Run it on one computer (aka The Server), and set all instances of SambaPOS to connect to it. If the Message Server is running ok, then you will see a green 'Connected' down the bottom right hand side of the screen.

You can see the Terminal App running here - http://www.youtube.com/embed/GuY3KN2DBdY
And the Message Server updating the screens here - SambaPOS iPad, Yazıcı ve Kiosk Entegrasyonu

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:31:22 am by JohnSCS »

polymorpher

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:38:46 pm »
It works! Many thanks. I didn't see "connected!" though. I used server name "127.0.0.1". (And changed port number to 8081 at all places just to make sure there is no conflict)

The only problem left is terminal application is not synced. I have changed department settings but I couldn't find the place to "set the terminal number".

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:48:33 pm »
When referring to network resources, always use the network name. Like my example, I used D620-PC for both the data connection string and message server name.

You will see connected after you restart SambaPOS.

How is your system setup? Are you using a terminal server, or remoting into the one machine with the PDA?

polymorpher

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:03:02 am »
Now I see it after restarting SambaPOS. In fact I tried both 127.0.0.1 and network name and found no difference as in theory there shouldn't be any difference.

This is what I am planning to do:

Use one computer to run MessageServer and SambaPOS (so 127.0.0.1 is correct), remote into the same machine with iPod (using terminal version) / iPad (full version). It would nice if terminal could be connected to MessageServer and synced, but it is not a big problem.

There is another problem with remote login - Unlike Windows Server, Windows 7 only supports one desktop session, that means only one instance of the client program (either full version or terminal) can be used at any given time.

I fixed it by following this guide:
http://www.howtechnews.com/2011/01/16/windows-7-remote-desktop-multiple-concurrent-sessions-rdp/
Note: When overwriting termsrv.dll in system32 you need to manually change permission settings of that file so you would be allowed to modify/write on it.

(This is the safest way. There are some patches around the Internet but beware of torjan/viruses)

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:26:55 am »
You are so close. This is where is gets fun.

First - Win 7 terminal server patch is what I use. So remember that each user has their own login, in my case POS01 (the PC), POS02 (the iPod) & POS03 (the iPad)

You need to copy the SambaSettings.txt file from C:\ProgramData\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2 to C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Ozgu Tech\SambaPOS2 for each user that will login. If you don't, then all users use the same terminal settings which is not want you want. Then delete the original SambaSettings.txt file so it can't be used.

Then login into the PC using each login, run SambaPOS and set the terminal name in Local Settings. Then when you log in using the iPod or iPad it will use that users terminal number. If all else fails, just get the full version of SambaPOS running the way you want, then the terminal app will work.

When I moved the SambaSettings.txt file, it all started working properly. This is the key when using Win7.

Best screen size for iPod - 400x600, iPad - 1280x960 and lock screen rotation.

Terminal does sync if you have the settings right. Remember to add your print jobs to the other terminals too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:30:19 am by JohnSCS »

polymorpher

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:33:45 am »
Awesome! I got it working. This is the best open source POS I have seen! Thanks for your help!

JohnS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:01:06 am »
Fantastic.

Now you know why I'm here :)

oda

Built in menu with picture?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:24 am »
I use the search, but I did not see any result for the menu option with picture. It would be a great idea to implement along with the Android/iOS device. This is the scenario, you are holding iPad to take customer order, and let's say he want to order something that he's not familiar(let's say an american goes to chinese restaurant). For example: Moo Goo Gai Pan. He probably think what the heck it is? IF you got the iPad and can show him the picture of the menu. That would mean alot, coz a picture means a thousand words. And trust me, the picture/image of the food will sell itself without any further explanation. Want a proof? Just look at the food ad, why do they show the picture so big with less word.

ps: i know you can insert a picture on the menu order button, but i think it is too small. I was thinking that it can be displayed at full screen. And yes, I know you can make that button very big, but not convenience since you can't put a lot of menu if choose to do so.

Well, this is just my idea!
Let me know if you think this would be a good idea!
If not, then do not mind it and I'm really sorry to bring it up!

Sincerely,
Leon.

emre

• SambaPOS Developer
  • Samba Team
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 11:17:46 am »
Hello Leon. This small application primarily designed for quickly getting orders next to table by waiters. This application needs to be fast and practical. An application designed for direct customer input should be graphically designed like a paper menu with lots of details about products and it should also contains information about promotions, special events, etc.. Even some restaurants requests social actions like facebook connection for sharing thoughts, etc. We'll release simple libraries for developing such SambaPOS integrated clients easily. What we need is time for now :)

JohnS

• Global Moderator